[Ansteorra] A Challenge

Fields Family Farm fields at texas.net
Tue May 17 08:52:43 PDT 2011

Sir Dietrich, here in Bryn Gwlad, has put forth a challenge.  Those of us in
the SCA in the Bryn Gwlad area are to use, as our FB profile pictures this
week, old pictures of ourselves in the SCA, in garb.

When I originally entered the SCA, I'd just entered college (Rice Univ.), in
Houston.  I joined the Stargate barony.  This was back in 1982.  I was a
kid, in college (and I was as much an idiot as most kids are at that age).
This was before the internet, and I didn't have a camera, not that I ever
would have thought of taking pictures of myself.

Is it possible that anyone has a picture of me from that time?

It would have been between '82 and '87.  I went to fighter practice in
Memorial Park fairly regularly, at least for a while.  I didn't end up
fighting much, as the loaner helmet wouldn't fit glasses, and I couldn't
afford my own custom helmet.  I went to a few events, at least one Crown
Tourney, and a couple of Elfstomps at the TRF grounds.  My group even won
one of the Elfstomps.  We tied another group, and it came down to a
tiebreaker axe-throw.  For several years I worked/helped at our booth and
games at TRF, including marshaling at the mound.  I also danced with the
group that would dance for the Shakespeare plays in Herman Park.

At the time I had long blonde hair, and a redish beard.  I wore glasses.  I
only remember having one set of SCA garb - a brownish baggy shirt, and
greyish/greenish pants.  I had the long suede-moccasin type boots.  For the
Shakespeare dancing, they got me a second, period outfit that was green and
gold (with green tights), if I remember correctly, but it was a long time
ago.

I went by Rick, or Hrethric.  I occasionally hung out with John Palmer.  I
can't immediately think of anything else relevant, but if you have questions
that would help you find a pic of me, feel free to send me an email
directly.

Hrethric