[Ansteorra] Camp fee what to do about it

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Sat May 21 12:43:02 PDT 2011

I don't believe the fee can be enforced because it wasn't announced when the people decided  where they were going to camp. It is my understanding that groups that charge such a fee tell people beforehand.
If you are not interested in the services just write the Ansteorran camp people That way they won't spend money to provide for you.
Except for knights, none of us are required or expected to support Ansteorra when we are on foreign soil other than Gulf Wars.  We do it to support our Crown so that he will have a decent fighting force. It would be sad if the Crown was all alone except for non fighters.
If the fee stands and you don't want to pay it you can find another group to camp with in the future. Of course they will expect you fight with them. Ansteorrans have such good reps. as fighter we are welcomed almost anywhere.
I have never been made to pay a camp fee when I was fighting for a group. I have been asked to work at a camp and provide a box of trash bags or something but that was always before I sent my money in and choose to camp with the people.
I believe that the Bureaucratic Model of leadership is the problem here. People in the modern world are used to being told that they will do something because someone in charge makes an unilateral decision. It works OK in American but it led to apathy in the USSR and some people think it is the root problem in the lack of volunteerism in USA. I am not wise enough to say. I just know that many people join the SCA  expecting  something different.
I know my model of the medieval world is the vassal/lord of 10-14 century Europe. I expect to have a certain amount of say and the right to veto.  I also expect  courtesy from my Lord and Lady and their servants. I view everyone from the camp coordinator to the Herald as extensions of the Royal presence, so their actions are the crown actions.
I view the Wars as the last  stronghold of persona. When I fight at a war I want to feel medieval. Most of the groups that we have camped with have been in that mode. There is a sense of family and family obligation. It is nicer to be asked not told. The real world tells me too much all ready.
Duchess Willow de Wisp