[Ansteorra] Camp fee what to do about it

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Sat May 21 14:43:43 PDT 2011

> Perhaps this example can help put it into perspective...everyone who attends
> an event is suddenly required to pay a stabling fee for equine activities.
> Some of those attending the event do not even own a horse, nor do they
> attend or enjoy equine activities but because someone decided that a
> stabling fee was necessary and it must be paid by anyone who came on site.
> If you attend then you must pay so your options become go to the event or go
> somewhere else...If you attended such an event how would you feel about
> that?

And what about events where there is no stabling fee and the cost of
having stables has simply been rolled into the overall cost of the
site? Then every single person is sharing the cost, but you don't
object because you weren't informed of how the site cost breakdown was
happening. Like I'm sure part of your Pennsic registration fees go to
support the showers and bath houses. So what if you never use them? I
went twice without ever using a public shower (had solar or coal-fired
showers in camp) or even being aware that there were flush toilets on
site! Should you be exempt from paying your portion of those services
at the gate? I know many events where a sideboard lunch is provided,
and I assume my gate fee paid for it, but I don't always eat it, so
should I ask for a discount? If the things being provided (drinking
water, garbage bags, orange slices etc.) were being provided by
Pennsic and the cost was rolled into your gate fee, most likely no one
would have ever said "boo".

> The solution is a simple one make the camp fee a cost for services just like
> a food plan, and not for the use of the camping area itself. This way those
> who provide such services for themselves within the confines of their
> allotted space will not have to pay the fee, and those who do wish to use
> the available services can do so by paying the fee.

This solution is what is already happening. It has already been stated
that if you truly feel you won't be using anything, don't pay. So I
don't see why there is an argument going on at all. You already have
the option to opt out and self-police your use or lack of use of the
services. No one is treading on your liberties, you're just choosing
not to read all the information that has been presented.

~Eve