[Ansteorra] yellow 10 point stars

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed May 4 08:02:19 PDT 2011

On Wed, 4 May 2011, Elisabeth B. Zakes <kitharis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 08:11, Traci <traci at crimsonvision.net> wrote:
>
>> As they are, yellow 10 point stars do not represent Ansteorra even
>> if they are on black.  What I am fond of doing is making a smaller
>> star in black & placing it inside the yellow stars THEN appliqueing
>> them onto black. So the yellow halos the black; there is a heraldic
>> term for it but I am blanking on it... *cue a Herald stepping in
>> here to remind me*
>
> I think you're thinking of fimbriated?

It says "cue a Herald".  The only capital-H Herald position that I see
open right now is Star Principal Herald, the chief herald of the
kingdom.  Aethelyan, thank you for your application.  I'm sure your
application will be processed in the order in which it was received.
Please stay on the line of division.  Your calling is very important
to us.

To descend into seriousness:

Yes, "fimbriated".  Though, given a thick outline, it might be better
described as "on a mullet of five greater and five lesser points Or
another sable".

If I see a mullet of five greater and five lesser points, I think of
Ansteorra regardless of the color.  The badge of the Iris of Merit is
effectively a yellow star on a black one, so it's mostly gold.  The
badge of the Guild of European Dancers has an Ansteorran mullet that's
half black and half yellow.  The badge for the Chronicler of Ansteorra
is entirely gold.

Danyll de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com