[Ansteorra] Marshalette Secretary needed

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu May 26 13:21:00 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Jean Paul de Sens <
jeanpauldesens at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011, Colleen/Keally <ldycolleenokelly at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Marshalette Secretary
>>>

>> Why am I suddenly having a vision of burly marshals, all of them
>> wearing little skirts and uniforms, advancing in a line across the
>> field twirling their staves in unison to the playing of a marching
>> band?
>
> I am unwilling to comment on what life experiences you have had that
> would lead you to such visions and would *beg* you not share those
> kinds of visions with us in the future....

Perhaps I was being too elliptical, making it all go all pear-shaped?

I was hoping to imply, lightly and humorously, that the spelling was
not quite correct.

-ate: "As a noun suffix, it marks the agent; as, curate, delegate. It
     also sometimes marks the office or dignity; as, tribunate."

-ette:

     1. used with some nouns to make nouns describing something small

         a kitchenette (=a small kitchen)

     2. used with some nouns to make nouns referring to women

         usherette (=a woman whose job is to take people to their seats
         in a theater)

     3. used with some nouns to make nouns meaning a substance that looks
        like something else

         leatherette (=a substance that looks like leather)

So "Marshalate Secretary" would be the secretary for the office of
marshals.

A "Marshalette Secretary" would be a secretary for small marshals, for
female marshals, or for imitation marshals.

Except I saw "Marshalette" and first misread it as "Majorette", hence
>> wearing little skirts and uniforms, advancing in a line across the
>> field twirling their staves in unison to the playing of a marching
>> band

Danielis de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com