[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 05:58:58 PDT 2011

This is going to sound horribly rude, but as a matter of fact, it IS the
bits under the dress that make a Queen. In mundane precedent, a Queen
consort's only job is to produce an heir for the king.

This is part of the tricky situation in which the United Kingdom will one
day find itself. The Heir Apparent's consort is not the mother of his
children, and she will not be able to produce an heir for him. So there is
talk about elevating her to the style and title "HRH The Princess Consort."
Of course, this is silly; there is only one word in the English language
for the wife of a king. And Henry VIII's wives after Jane Seymour (Anne of
Cleves, Catherine Howard, and Catherine Parr) were all queens, even though
Jane had already produced the coveted heir for Henry.

That aside, the function of producing an heir for the king is irrelevant in
SCA practice, since Crowns are not inherited according to biological
descent (and, unlike mundane precedent, the queen need not be the legally
married spouse of the king). With that out of the way, the proper role of a
Queen in the SCA is to share in the ceremonial leadership of a kingdom.

Detlef

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Rose <rose_welch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> In that case, good Don, what makes a Queen? Is it the bits under the
> dress, or the dress itself? If it's the former, then when do those bits
> come into play? If it's the latter, would a consort in a houppelande
> suffice?
>
> -R
>

> *     *     *     *     *     *     *
>

> I know that you believe you understand what you think I meant, but I'm not
> sure you realize that what you read is not what I wrote.
>

> ________________________________

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!