[Ansteorra] Middle Eastern Drumming and Dancing activities at BAM

Steve Scott (Dietrich) dietrich.strobelbart at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 07:03:55 PST 2011

Greetings unto the Middle Eastern Drummers and Dancers of Ansteorra!

Middle Eastern activities at Bordermarch Autumn Melees will include, but not be limited to:

It is my understanding that HE Mistress Rhiannon ferch Bryan, OL, Baroness of Loch Soillier, will be teaching a Medieval & Middle Eastern Dance class for Beginners & Advanced, time and place to be announced.  No mention whether this will be with live drums or canned music, though there will be live drummers available onsite if desired.

Friday @ 5:00pm @ the BFT:  Drumming for Beginners Class.  Teacher: Herr Dietrich Strobelbart.  This will be geared to the level of the least experienced person who shows up wanting to learn about Middle Eastern Drumming.  If you are interested at all in drumming, you are more than welcome to attend.  Please bring your own drum if possible.  Loaners will likely be limited, but there will be at least two.  I will have copies of handouts that I have gleaned from various classes I have attended available.  We will most likely focus on getting you prepared to join in and have fun at the Drum & Dance Jam, and the Hafla.

Friday @ 9:00pm, BFT:  Drum & Dance Jam.  This will be a fun get-together!  Bring your own refreshments and musical instruments.  We will go until we're tired.

Saturday @9:00pm, BFT:  Hafla is the Arabic word for PARTY!  This means drumming, dancing, food, drink, and gifts exchanged!  Aleeasar will be providing Period Middle Eastern high-energy finger foods and drinks for the dancers and drummers, including hummus, cheeses, olives, pita chips, and a period non-alcoholic energy drink called Sekajabin (mint and perhaps also lemon flavors).  Aleeasar will also be handing out small thank you gifts to the dancers, with some targeted gifts for the newest dancer and the best dancer.  If you are inclined to bring small items of largess to give to your favorite dancers, I am sure they will be received with big smiles! ;-)  Last year the Hafla went well into the wee hours of the morning.  I would not be surprised if people wake up this year on Sunday morning to the sound of the drums still going!  ;-)

My apologies to those who may receive multiple copies of this missive. My intent is not to overwhelm, but to inform.  Please feel free to forward this message to any other list where it might be appreciated.

If I have missed anything, let me know and I'll try to make sure people know about it.

Yours in Service,
Herr Dietrich Strobelbart
Aleeasar Guild Principal

Per bend argent and gules, a cock contourny counterchanged.

mka: Steve Scott
281-731-7726 Cell
Numerus vestri pluma!
Number your feathers!