[Ansteorra] Homestead Craft Fair after Thanksgiving in Elm Mott, just north of Waco

K. Marsh maelgwyndda at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 09:07:41 PST 2011

Wyllow and I are planning to attend the Homestead Craft Fair again this year on the Friday after Thanksgiving in Elm Mott, just north of Waco.  The fair continues through Sunday.  See

http://www.homesteadcraftfair.com

"This exposition of fine crafts and heirloom skills is a fun and
educational festival with activities for the entire family. Help to milk a cow, lend a hand at the old-fashioned timber frame barn raising and
watch a master craftsman fashion a fine Windsor chair straight from a
rough log! Afterwards, sample one of the multicultural dishes from the
food court or maybe lick a delicious maple pecan ice-cream cone while
touring our farm on a horse-drawn hay wagon.  Browse the daily schedule for a complete list of make-your-own projects and demonstrations—including sheepdog work, horse farming,
pottery making, blacksmithing, woodworking, quilting, weaving, spinning, basketry, boot making, cheese making and much, much more... See you at
the Fair!"

This sustainable-living colony (somewhere between Amish and Menonnite) has an interesting selection of demonstrations, hands-on projects and handcraft sales.  I enjoy the fresh cheese curds, fresh stone-ground flour for bread baking, and the bronze casting demonstrations.  I also stock up on deerskin gloves from their general store.  Many of the pre-industrial crafts they practice are similar or identical to the medieval crafts we play with.  I have seen several other SCA folks at the fair but I haven't seen anything posted here about it so I thought I would share this.

Maelgwyn