[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts

franchesca at bush-family.com franchesca at bush-family.com
Tue Nov 1 11:50:58 PDT 2011

So I have a question. What makes a Queen? Does a Queen have to half the
right plumbing, wear a dress or other feminine clothing?

I am just wondering because standing behind Queen Amelot at Queen's
Champion as part of her Entourage, after fighting in two rounds of her
championship, I saw the importance and emotion to both sides of the
interchanges. I also sensed that it might have been more special for
everyone since Her Majesty is a Dona in her own right. I may be incorrect
on this point however. But is it the title or the person, or both? I don't
know, maybe the people who might want to have a same sex consort won't mind
still being a King and Queen. Maybe the Rapier community just wants their
Queen regardless of sex.

I dont' know the answer. I think the topic is quite interesting. There are
a lot of issues to be hammered out for all of the SCA. It seems to me more
people are more concerned about how it affects how the game is played and
how their personas will handle the changes rather than an overwhelming
issue with the fact we are dealing with a gay rights issue.

Although, for those who have brought up concern for the kids.... Children
generally learn by example. In general they are accepting to love and
respect of others. They do sense when their adults are scared, fearful,
upset, or distrustful. Hence my step kids are scared of snakes and bugs
because of their parents reactions. We teach them to be wary of strangers.
If we react in a way that shows dislike, distrust, fear upon seeing a
couple that does not meet a preconceived notion of what is a couple should
look like, then they will begin to look at those couples in those ways.

I know it pleases me to see my daughter approach all people, animals,
situations with joy and wonder. She has seen same sex couples and
acknowledge when they are kissing. She has no fear for various shades of
skin or an abundance (or lack of) wrinkles. While she is only 2, I know
this is not the case for all toddlers. I am not concerned for her by seeing
two Kings, or two Queens. Or a King and Queen of the same sex. I don't see
the point. My daughter knows who the Queen and King are. She also
recognizes that the King and Queen are not "together" because she knows who
their respective partners are. (though she does favor Her Majesty over
Lorenzo for sure. ;) )

So my point is, don't worry that having same sex consorts might confuse the
children. It won't if you can handle it. They are only confused if they
sense acceptance from one group and not from their parents/guardians. If
you don't like that type of relationship, you can use it as an discussion
point to discuss those feelings you have. I think it only matters really if
that dislike, fear, hatred (whatever fits) is bigger than your love for the
game.

Franchesca/Francisca Sastre de Arellano