[Ansteorra] Latin Help?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 18:51:08 PST 2011

As with many translations, word for word translations often don't work
and often phrases (colloquialisms?) do not translate well that way.

The translation into Welsh of "hill country" for the barony now known
as Bryn Gwlad, is a good example. :-)

If you can get a hold of her, Mistress Gunnora, also known as the
Viking Answer Lady, is an excellent source for such translations.  She
will usually explain why a direct word for word translation will not
work. Unfortunately, the latter is what you generally get from online
translation programs.

I don't know if the email address I have for her is still good or not.
She does ask that you check out the mottoes she has already
translated, that are in the following Florilegium files, just to keep
her from having to do a lot of duplications.

For people looking for inspirations for their mottoes these files
might also be of interest.
mottoes1-msg     (113K) 10/25/00  Latin mottoes for SCA use.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/mottoes1-msg.html

mottoes2-msg      (80K) 10/25/00  More Latin mottoes and phrases.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/mottoes2-msg.html

For those looking for non-Latin mottoes, there is also this file:
n-Lat-mottoes-msg  (8K)  5/24/08  Non-Latin mottoes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/HERALDRY/n-Lat-mottoes-msg.html

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com