[Ansteorra] Latin Help?

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 05:23:25 PST 2011

So I take it the Latin construction parallels the English: Regnum
Ansteorrae is a word-for-word translation of "The Kingdom OF Ansteorra."

I was curious about that. The German construction is a little different;
for example, what we would call "The Federal Republic of Germany," is "Die
Bundesrepublik Deutschland" in German...literally, "The Federal Republic
Germany." No OF. If Latin followed the German, the wording would simply be
"Regnum Ansteorra."

Basically, the question I have is this: Should "Ansteorra" be rendered in
the genetive case relative to "Regno", or should it be rendered in the
dative relative to the verb "dat"?

And THANK YOU! :-)

Detlef

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Mike Andrews <mikea at mikea.ath.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 08:02:58PM -0600, HerrDetlef wrote:
> > Good evening, fellow Ansteorrans!
> >
> > I was wondering if anybody could help me with my Latin.  I'm trying to
> say
> > "Detlef von Marburg gives this flag to the Kingdom of Ansteorra."
> >
> > What I have is "Detlef von Marburg hoc vexillum ad Regnum Ansteorram
> dat."
> >
> > This is something I want to put on a couple Ansteorran civil ensigns I
> made
> > for the Crown.
>
> Try "Detlef von Marburg hoc vexillum Regno Ansteorrae dat" if you want
> to emphasize that you're doing the giving, "Regno Ansteorrae hoc
> vexillum Detlef von Marburg dat" if you want to emphasize that it's the
> flag that was given. The important parts are the case endings: "Regno
> Ansteorrae" is "to the Kingdom of Ansteorra", "hoc vexillum" is "this
> flag" in the objective case".
>
> Nice sentiment, and really good idea.
>
> --
> Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
> mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO
> Tired old music Laurel; Chirurgeon; SCAdian since AS XI
> Listowner, SCA-Laurels

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!