[Ansteorra] Latin Help?

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 10 07:46:53 PST 2011

Okay, I know it is an old argument, but still a pet peeve of mine- The Latinized version of Ansteorra, if we even leave out the argument as to whether they would have kept the "o"  (or even the second "r)" thus "Anste(r)r-, should be "Ansteorria" and its genative, -iæ.  The -a" ending on Ansteorra is not a Latinization, it is the weak masculine ending in Old English.  If the kingdom's name had been discussed in the herald-world of today's SCA, it should have never passed as a properly period Anglo-Saxon place-name as all Anglo-Saxon place names used geographic features, i.e. "land", "burug/byrig," "tun," "þorp," and so forth or you had the region names usually those of perceived tribal relations such Westseaxe, Eastangle, though evern these in the text were often followe by "rice", kingdom, "cynn", kind,kin, etc.  So looking at Francalond, "France," if Anteorraland were the proper name, the Latinization, like Francia, would be Ansteorria, as Latin
 generally dumped that last vowel..  Other examples would be Salland, the Frankish territory, being, in Latin, Salia and declined as such.
  Also more commonly in A-S charters of the period was the title of rex Anglorum, more rarely rex Angliæ; one being "of the Angle [people]", and the other being "of  the land of the Angles," one implying right from the people and the other by mere ownership/relation of power of land.

Okay, okay, I'm going back to my hole...

Uictricus filius Uictmundi, dominus et historicus Steppensis et cellulanus
Wihtric Wihtmunding, hlafard and wyrdwritere þegndomes Steppena and anhaga