[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

Robert G. Ferrell rgferrell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 18:52:42 PDT 2011

On 10/29/2011 8:30 PM, HerrDetlef wrote:

>  Since the SCA does not follow the mundane requirement
> that two or more people who share a royal dignity be legally related, the
> legal relationship between monarch and consort cannot be considered at all.

I would also remind everyone that Ansteorra has experienced a male in
the consort role. It worked quite well, other than having to change
scroll and proclamation text wording. We have had, of course, a number
of Crowns who were not romantically involved.

I really don't see any problem with same-sex consorts. Single-person
Crowns would present some initial administrative and ceremonial issues,
but nothing we couldn't cope with, either. The Crown is the Crown.

I think there should be three ways to choose a monarch: traditional
tourney, raising an army (the Kingdom Warlord model), and election by a
Witan. I also think that the Witan should confirm a potential monarch in
any case, even if that confirmation is merely ceremonial. But then, I am
an Anglo-Saxon.  ;-)

Cynric