[Ansteorra] Same-Sex Consorts

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 10:53:40 PDT 2011

Ansgar,

What you are forgetting is that there IS a historical precedent (actually,
there are several) for two or more people of the same sex sharing a
kingship. It's not just a matter of fairness or anything like that. Nowhere
in mundane history has anybody said that the kingship must always be shared
between a man and a woman. For example, if the Prince of Wales were to
succeed his mother, he will probably not share the crown with his wife out
of respect for public opinion regarding his first wife. I don't necessarily
agree with that; the English language only has one word for the wife of a
king. But still, there is no law in mundane precedent requiring every king
to have a queen for the duration of his reign. That's artificial. It's also
artificial for the SCA to say that the king and queen need not be legally
married. What's NOT artificial is the existence of two or more kings
sharing a crown at the same time.

But nobody can say that same-sex consorts should not be allowed because it
isn't period and then say that same-sex consorts should not be allowed
because the documentation proving that it IS period is not the prime
motivation for petitioning the change in SCA practices.

I've been told that homosexuality should not be tolerated because it isn't
natural, and it isn't natural because it isn't observed among other
animals. When scientific evidence proved that homosexuality WAS observed
among other animals, the argument became that homosexuality shouldn't be
tolerated because human beings should not engage in behaviors that other
animals engage in. Changing the rules of the argument in mid-argument is
illogical at best, and it's often downright insulting. To be told that
having two kings on a throne is inappropriate because it isn't period, and
then to be told that having two kings on a throne is still inappropriate
when documentation is offered to demonstrate that it IS period because THAT
documentation is not the prime mover in the petition to allow same-sex
consorts in the SCA really boils my blood.

The only logical reason I've seen behind not allowing same-sex consorts on
a throne is the effects that that would have on a rapier community that
centers itself on the patronage of a queen. Everything else I've seen so
far has been a pathetic attempt to veil homophobia.

There. I said it.
Detlef

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:26 AM, <bsmall at suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Detlef,
>
> I believe the point is that we are supposed to be studying and recreating
> the Middle Ages.  It's true that we aren't 100% authentic, but what a lot
> of people are pointing out is why deviate further from what we are already
> doing?
>
> In other words, how does adding same sex consorts (for convenience sake)
> take us away from our declared purpose?
>
> You could argue that we allow modern items at events and avail ourselves
> of modern medicine, etc., but those arguments really don't support going to
> same-sex consorts, in my opinion.
>
> Ansgar
>
> ---- HerrDetlef <herrdetlef at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So I take it you are also against discarding the concept of theocratic
> > kingship that pervaded the Middle Ages/Renaissance, and I also take it
> you
> > are against the concept of crowns stepping down after six months. These
> > things also do not accurately portray life as it was in the Middle Ages.
> > don't know of a single medieval/Renaissance king who only ruled six
> months
> > and then willingly stepped down, and I don't know of a single medieval
> > coronation ceremony that was not actually performed by the Church. Kings
> > and queens in the Current Middle Ages do not rule/reign "by the grace of
> > God," and they are not anointed by bishops (the anointing being more
> > central to a coronation ceremony than the actual act of crowning). We
> > should bring the Church into the Current Middle Ages (if our kingdoms are
> > pagan and not Christian, from what gods do our kings claim descent?), and
> > we should allow our kings to reign for the rest of their lives and also
> > pass their kingdoms on to their own children.
> >
> > Do you REALLY want to go that route?
> >
> > Detlef

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!