[Ansteorra] Brewing Question: Carbonating Cider

roland_sos at yahoo.com roland_sos at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 06:54:20 PDT 2011

I have to watch my sugar as well and what I find works instead of splenda (because splenda can leave a bitter after taste) is Agave Nectar or Brown Rice Syrup. These will both ferment but you can treat it like Root Beer and add the sweetener, bottle, and then refrigerate. The cold will keep the yeast dormant. I agree that you should rack in a new clean vessel to keep off flavors out. Another alternative (albeit meaning that you will have to wait longer for a finished product) is to blend this batch that is dry and with a new batch that you've sweetened too much. Just my two cents.
YIS,
Ld. Thalhurst MacSivnah
Smiling Bull Tavern