[Ansteorra] Latin Empire or what happened to Byzantine

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Mon Oct 24 19:55:59 PDT 2011

http://www.paralumun.com/latin.htm
Some of you have asked me for info about the Holy lands and the Byzantine Empire and you have commented that you could find no information of Constantinople in the 13Th century. This is because history has given that area a new name. The site at the top of the page gives description of what was happening. at that time
willow
The Latin Empire or Latisn Empire of Constantinople (original Latin name: Imperium Romaniae, "Empire of Romania") is the name given by historians to the Crusader state founded by the leaders of the Fourth Crusade on lands captured from the Byzantine Empire after their sack of Constantinople in 1204. The Empire was intended to supplant the Byzantine Empire as titular successor to the Roman Empire in the east, with a Western Catholic emperor enthroned in place of the Byzantine Greeks. Baldwin IX, Count of Flanders, was crowned Emperor as Baldwin I on 16 May 1204.