[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 13:17:56 PDT 2011

Some things to remember:

1.    This is not about gay people.

There are knights who have sons who are knights in the Knowne World. How awesome would it be if they reigned together?And what do you do with people who don't fit into a gender binary, like the 1 in 4k who is born noticeably transgendered? Go by their birth certificate or their persona? Or are we going to take the 'sports' route and erect a special board to start checking pants to decide? All of that would be really silly. This is about equality, gained by removing four words from Corpora. That's it. Just four words.

2.    This has historical precedent.

The citizens of Andorra and San Marcos agree that same-sex pairs have co-ruled, from 1278 and 1243 respectively. This practice has continued until the present day. There are other examples but they don't really matter because...

3.    Equal power and sex don't matter.

Some Kingdoms in the Knowne World still have 'Crown and Consort' in law. Many more have that in practice, meaning that we already have ruling pairs without equal power.

4.    Historical precedent doesn't really matter.

The purpose of the Society of Creative Anachronism is to selectively recreate the culture of the medieval period, choosing the elements of the culture that attract us. This means Crown by right of arms, but with common rules and every six months. This means two people to share the duties of the Crown, instead of the more historic one. Lady fighters used to be out, but now they're in. Regular baths are in, and the plague is out. Woohoo, modern practicality!

5.    This change would not immediately affect Ansteorra.

This ruling, if passed, would not affect Ansteorra, because Ansteorran law itself requires that both fighter and consort be 'of the opposite gender'. A change in Corpora would only mean that those Kingdoms who want (or need) to allow same-sex consorts could do so.

6.    "Change is often desirable, frequently necessary, and always inevitable, so we can only consider which changes are best for our world, and at what rate they should come." ~Marion Zimmer Bradley

^^ This thought is definitely one to keep in mind.

-Rose the Obnoxious

I know that you believe you understand what you think I meant, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I wrote.