[Ansteorra] Same-Sex Consorts

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Oct 30 18:50:33 PDT 2011

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011, Janice Dean Simpson <janicedean88 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I know several powerhouse groups, in several kingdoms. These
> groups do not always win Crown now because someone is either unable
> to find a consort, the consort (wife, girlfriend, etc) does not want
> to rule; or that fighter never really thought about it.

I asked about that premise in a nother note just now.

> Let's say same sex consorts are allowed: Then:
> Bill fights for Gene who fights for Ray who fights for Tom who
> fights for Phil who fights for Kelly who fights for Bob who fights
> for Tim who fights for Mark who fights for Al who fights for Bill.

A "powerhouse group" would tend to dominate crown tourneys regardless.
Further, I don't know of kingdoms that require that a person be fought
for by just one other person, so even today a powerhouse group could
have a few consort candidates, each fought for by several members.
Though I would note that these consorts would get the comital or ducal
rank rather than other fighters.

> That is 10 fighters who are amazing fighters, and normally would not
> compete for whatever reason.

Frankly, I find that REALLY hard to believe, that a group determined
to control the kingdom could not find consorts at all.

> Not only does this link one powerhouse into the Throne for years to
> come, but wives, girlfriends and other significant others are unable
> to rule with their partners because the group decided it is better
> to win over and over than to honor the relationship.

?!  That's no different from today.  Today, 9 would enter crown
tourney separately every 4-6 months and have a high chance of winning;
under this scenario, 8 would enter crown tourney &c.

Also, you posited at the top that they were "either unable to find a
consort, the consort (wife, girlfriend, etc) does not want to rule; or
that fighter never really thought about it".  So now you're taking
offense on behalf of the consorts who you said didn't want the job.
(An I suspect that Tom's consort who wanted the job, when Tom fought
for Bill, would find ways to express her displeasure to Tom.
E.g., "you have to sleep sometime" and Lysistrata.)

Daniel de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com