[Ansteorra] Title Question

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 7 15:23:58 PDT 2012

>From the Corpora VIII.D.4, and SCA College of Arms Administrative Handbook
Appendix C:
"Baron (of placename)/ Baroness (of placename) = Ceremonial heads of a barony"

I find no distinction between founding baron/ess and current baron/ess.

From Kingdom Law, Article 3.3.1.B:"The landed nobles at the time of the creation
of a barony are the founding baron or baroness. The founding landed nobles have
the perpetual right to bear the baronial arms in canton on their own arms and to
maintain the perpetual title "Baron or Baroness (fief).""

It would appear this is an Ansteorran convention.

My experience has been that:
Baron Placename refers to the founding baron of a barony in perpetuity.
Baron of Placename refers to the current baron of said place.
I have heard "His Excellency Placename" used interchangeably.

In service,
Alden Drake
Actuarius Pursuivant