[Ansteorra] Greets from a newcomer

Jeffrey Ragsdale jeffrags at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:39:18 PDT 2012

Finally, finally, finally, I've become an SCA sustaining member.  My
schedule and what-not over the years have precluded me from attending
events (as well as my lacking four wheels).  And this coming year will
see my weekends consumed with professional music weekend stuff.
However, I'm glad to support the Society with my membership fees, if
nothing else.

I first learned of the SCA through a friend from college, and my first
event was Jean-Richard's coronation in January 1998 in which was
reported at court the theft of the Ansteorran Sword of State which did
not happen on Jean-Richard's watch.  And while it was a non-SCAdian
from college who first informed me of the existence of the Knowne
World, I have through church known Vlad Ravna Starkraven for more than
twenty years.

I did not know so much Ansteorran history upon hearing of the theft,
but I knew enough for it to be a Big F---n Deal.  Happily, aside from
that drama, the day for me was very fun: I met the Iron Rose and Galen
von Kirchenbauer (I think that's his name) and hung out with Vlad and
others.  It was great seeing the garb and chivalry, and I was (and am
still) so new to things the happenings at court were all very
interesting to me.

Some years later, I attended the Knowne World Heraldic Symposium when
Westgate hosted it.  I think this was in 2002-ish?  Yeah, I've not
attended a lot of events over the years - lol.  I also briefly went to
a King's College in the meantime held at UH Central (I think).

I'm on the lookout for SCA-related podcasts.  I've found and have
enjoyed greatly the Pennsic Independent Podcast.  I'm sorry also to
see the Lions Road podcast appears to have disappeared.  Any leads on
others would be much-appreciated.  I don't read blogs all that much,
but I listen to podcasts constantly.

I've had more than one occasion to meet Hillary Greenslade, and have
always found her to be gracious, professional, and an immensely-nice
person.

As my mundane life permits, I look forward to events and what-not.
Many thanks, all!

Jeff Ragsdale (mundane and my name on Facebook - friend me!)
www.jeffrags.com