[Ansteorra] Title Question

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:33:28 PDT 2012

My thoughts (for whatever they are worth):

The proper style and title for a sitting landed baron is "His Excellency
the Baron of (Barony)," and for a sitting landed baroness is "Her
Excellency the Baroness of (Barony)." The style and title "His Excellency
Baron (First Name)" or "Her Excellency Baroness (First Name)" is proper for
court barons and court baronesses who are not also peers of the realm, in
which case "His Excellency Sir/Master (First Name)" should be fine, as
well--putting the highest style with the highest title.

Founding Barons and Founding Baronesses are accorded the title (in
Ansteorra, as well as some other kingdoms that directly descended from
Atenveldt) "His Excellency Baron (Barony)" and "Her Excellency Baroness
(Barony)" in perpetuity.

That all said, however, I do not believe that the style "His Excellency
(Barony)" or "Her Excellency (Barony)" is reserved to founding barons and
founding baronesses but to the sitting landed barons/baronesses. For
example, "His Excellency Stargate" is His Excellency the Baron of Stargate
(Master Robert McPharland), whereas the founding baron of Stargate (Myrddin
ap Rhys) is "His Excellency Baron Stargate" but not "His Excellency
Stargate." "Baron/Baroness (Barony)" without the particle "of" is the only
title that is reserved to founding barons/baronesses--and it is technically
a courtesy title, as founding barons and baronesses are ranked with all
court barons and baronesses according to the date that they were first
created barons and baronesses.

I've never seen any rules or laws governing styles for
landed/founding/court barons and baronesses. What I have just described is
merely my own habit--and if the habit is incorrect, I, too, would love some
clarification.

Yours in these Current Middle Ages,
Detlef von Marburg

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Rose M. Welch <rose_welch at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a question about titles that hopefully someone can answer. :)
>
> In regards to landed Baron/esses, it has always been my understanding that
> they could be referred to by their group, rather than their names, as in
> 'Their Excellencies BaronyName' rather than 'Their Excellencies
> RegisteredNames'. I've done this quite a bit, as I'm terrible bad with
> names. I was recently told that only the first B&B can claim that title,
> and that they can use it as an honorary titleclaim it forever, even after
> they have stepped down.
>
> Are there written rules regarding this? If not, what are the
> traditions/standards? Thanks.
>
> ~Lady Rose de la Rose

Hƿæt! Ƿe Gardena       in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,       þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas       ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing       sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,       meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.       Syððan ærest ƿearð
feasceaft funden,       he þæs frofre gebad,
ƿeox under ƿolcnum,       ƿeorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghƿylc       þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade       hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.       þæt ƿæs god cyning!