[Ansteorra] Travel (was Re: Participation vs. Recruitment (long))

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Fri Feb 3 09:36:14 PST 2012

greetings
( sorry been mainly out due to back pain, playing catch up today )
its not just distance though, heck people in elfsea do things differently
than they do in steppes. while traveling for enlightenment and learning is
great,being forced to spend money you may not have, to " be seen " by peers
in the farthest reaches of the kingdom, before they will speak favorably of
you ( mainly because they don't travel that far anymore ) just seems very
odd to me, the peers who have earned the award, and accepted the duties and
responsibilities,stay close to home, and the people that hope to someday
become a peer or at least more peer like do the traveling to " be seen " and
hopefully learn something. just seems like a glitch in the system to me.but
hey I'm a non peer looking in ,so can't say I have seen this from the peers
perspective.
also the above opinion, is painted with a wide brush, and not completely
accurate, as I do know many peers from the north ( where i live ) that do
still travel to the far reaches of the kingdom.
so in theory there must be some peers in the far reaches of the kingdom that
also travel that much, but the non regional peers I can recognize because I
have seen them more than once every several years ( or never ) all seem to
come from elfsea, or steppes .

some times I get the feeling that this could be another " pay to play "
issue. since there have been many attempts to get that as a working model
for the sca or parts there of in an attempt to raise money .
I have heard people wanting to only give awards to paid members, I have
heard people wanting to remove peoples awards if they let their membership
lapse, and I have heard people being told many times that it is highly
unlikely that they will ever get a positive vote from the circles if they
haven't been to many events in the far reaches of the kingdom, because they
won't recognize you otherwise.luckily none of them except the last has ever
been a working model in the sca.

anyway looks like I have lots of e-mail to catch up on.
Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur