[Ansteorra] Children in the SCA

Manners, Tabitha tabitha.manners at okstate.edu
Wed Feb 1 10:16:49 PST 2012

The group that HE Elizabeth de Calais started is not about children's activities at events, but as I understand it, rather focused more on the class discussion we were having in her "raising functioning children in the SCA.".  It included ideas for parents from what types of toys they were allowed to play with and when, types clothing, children networking (where we mentioned children's activities and areas youth like to volunteer: waterbearing, serving drinks at feast), education aspects of the SCA and how they tie in to daily school work and lessons.  It was more about parenting methods and practices within our society.  It was great to hear from leaders whose children had grown up in the Society and remained active as adults.

They group Lady Cait has so wonderfully administered has included discussion of affordably clothing children in a period style and group activities for children.  We talk about the things that our children enjoy or dislike from events and ways to improve them.  This is also a very useful conversation to be a part of.

I personally have found value in both discussions, but do not think they should necessarily be held together.  Not everyone who is willing to talk about activities is willing to openly accept a different perspective on parenting in the SCA without jumping in to defend their own circumstances.  Just my two pence worth.

Lady Liliana