[Ansteorra] Recognition (WAS: Travel)

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Feb 1 12:03:09 PST 2012

I'm all for getting people recognition they deserve. The ideas being expressed are generally good.

I dislike the thought of playing this game to get that recognition, and doubt people leave, most of them, because they don't get it. People stop playing games because they aren't fun, not because they don't 'win'. And being taught that garnering recognition is how you win, and that failing to be recognized with awards equals losing the game, or not playing well, yeah, that's a great way to make the game no fun.

I realize there's a thousand and one ways to play any game, and none of them are 'wrong'. I didn't always, but I do now.

Don't teach the newbies that role-playing is wrong, that, just for instance, a song that the group at the campfire laugh and applaud and sing along with is less valuable than a period piece in a language hardly anyone understands that the Bard-Laurels love, or that play-acting the damage you think your persona would have taken in the armor he would have been wearing, even if it costs you the fight, is stupid compared to only accepting blows that are 'legal' in our rules and felt in our safety equipment. (I'm thinking basket hilts used as bucklers here.) There are examples in everything we do.

Those of you who enjoy grinding and leveling up, more power to you. Me, I'll keep on role-playing, and trying to make sure other people are having fun.

And thus I will enjoy this game.

Kevin