[Ansteorra] Fall Ball Thank You's And Lost & Found

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Feb 3 01:15:00 PST 2012

I wish to thank the gentles of Shadowlands for a very, enjoyable
event. It was a very fun, informal event, with a number of interesting
classes and things to do, from dance classes to bread and gingerbread
making classes, a practical herbal class on using things you might
already have at home such as garlic and several active participation
games from blind-man's bluff to cheese-rolling. Lots of activities for
even those who aren't armored or rapier fighters.

I also have commend those who decorated the hall and especially the
person(s) who made the fake food items sitting around the room. I had
to go over and pick up several of them to determine for sure whether
they were real or not. They were obviously fake only when picked up
and examined closely. Had there been a food fight, some of those items
would have been the first to grab, since several were quite hefty. I
didn't however see Hans at the event, so I didn't get to test these
items as weapons. -)

I would love to see those particular artists try their hands at
illusion foods or sotelties.

For the pot luck there was plenty of good, real food. Several dishes I
wanted to go back and sample, such as the ribs, I didn't get to, as I
was too full of everything else.:-(

I enjoyed the dancing and I appreciated the fact that the list of
dances was posted ahead of time and during the dancing. Not being good
at remembering what dance went with which name, this gave me a chance
to try to figure it out ahead of time. I know a lot more dances than I
recognize the name of, especially when if the dance is simply
announced, by the time I figure out if I know the dance or not, the
dance has often already started.

Posting dance lists and feast menu ingredient lists ought to be
standard practice for SCA events. IMHO.

Vivat Shadowlands!

Stefan

--------