[Ansteorra] fwd: Valentines day in Japan

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Feb 6 14:06:07 PST 2012

 From the Gleann Ahbann list.

I just knew there had to be a catch...

Stefan
------------
Valentines  day in Japan
    Posted by: "Tree" ladytree53 at yahoo.com ladytree53
    Date: Mon Feb 6, 2012 9:47 am ((PST))

While the below information is not SCA related, I thought some of you
might like this little bit of information.  My daughter and her
husband live at Kadena AFB in Japan.  She posted the below information
on her blog a while back and I found it interesting.  While how far
back in time this custom goes I do not know, I did find it enjoyable.

Tree
____________________________________
In American most men are planning the big day in Feb. to show love
with candy ,cards ,flowers and maybe even a nice dinner. Japan it is a
little diff. here the men wait to see how many gifts they will get.
yes,ladies the men get the gifts!!!! When it first began in Japan
single woman would present a gift (usually chocolate) to the boy to
confess attraction to them. Times have changed just a little ...now
woman of all ages give a gift to their loved one ...called hommei-
choco(true love chocolates). for relatives they give giri-
choco(obligation chocolates) -smaller. Friend or (tomodachi or you can
just say tomo) may also get gifts.
Even Americans may get a gift from a Japanese person while walking or
in a store. If you do get one.. then on White Day on March 14th you
have to give that person a gift back and it should be worth three
times the amount of the gift they gave you.This gift is called (san-
bai-gaishi). All of you woman run out and get your husband a hommie-
choco so in March he has to triple the amout on a san-bai-gaishi gift
for you lol!!!!

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris