[Ansteorra] Underage Participation In The SCA

Cionaodh O'Hosey CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net
Sun Feb 5 14:32:32 PST 2012

In the SCA we have always done things we did not want to have to
reduce or eliminate our liabilities. We have weapon and armor
standards that we hope reduce our liabilities, waivers we sign and
rules we follow because all we hope that doing so will reduce our
liabilities. These rules we follow we hope make sense in a risk
verses cost way, that is the root of risk management.  With that in
mind i say the following.

It is now apparent that having people underage participation in the
SCA accounts for over 90% of all of our liabilities in the SCA.  This
asks the first question: Does under age participation and / or their
parents provide enough revenue to the SCA to cover those expenses or
is every one else having to make up the difference? Personally, I
don't see how with the SCA charging half price with family maximums
at calendar events and family rates on memberships how those underage
participants and their families can possibly be covering those costs.
That means those of us who are not underage and who don't have
underage members in our families are covering the costs incurred by
having those underage participants in the SCA. Is that fair?

For instance when you ask "Why are membership dues so high?" a large
part of the answer is now "We all have to pay more, so underage
people and their families can play"

So an interesting question would be "How much less in cost and how
many fewer regulations would we have if we went adult only?"

And, "How much more should we charge for underage participants to
cover the costs involved in continuing to serve them?"

Or "Is it OK to everyone that we all have to pay more so we can have
underage participants?"

I understand this will offend a lot of people and i apologize for
that but these are the questions faced in the "mundane world" we live
in every day by all sorts of organizations.

Cionaodh O'Hosey