[Ansteorra] So, how do we keep our children and the SCA safe?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 15:55:18 PST 2012

Arthur said:
<<< I hope this incident doesn't  make people less willing to have
children's activities, or look at all children as nothing but
potential problems, and especially in the area where this happened,
( although they could have or may move anywhere in the world )  I
really hope it doesn't make people paranoid about the people with kids
( are they the ones ?? ) >>>

As with waterbearing, should the SCA disassociate themselves from
children's activities? As I understand it, the reason that
waterbearing became an unofficial, non-recognized activity in the SCA
and all formal waterbearing offices removed, was so that the SCA could
say they weren't responsible for providing water to fighters or making
sure it was safe and that safe practices used.

Perhaps the Minister of Children offices should also be dissolved and
removed from our governing documents?

That might be best for the SCA legally, but I think it would be worse
from the parents and the children's perspective.

At one time I published the following article:
SG-SCA-Youth-art  (10K)  6/22/09  "Survival Guide for an SCA Youth" by
Lady
                                      Gormlaith Bebbin Kathleen
HRothgarsdottir.

However, it caused an uproar because the fact that certain bad things
might happen at SCA events and that while SCA youth should be warned
about such activities, mentioning that possibility cast the Society in
a bad light. Eventually I withdrew that article by request of the
author because of the social pressure she was under in her own kingdom.

I thought that this article was particularly important because it was
written by someone who was recently an SCA youth. (I think she was 20
when she wrote it). I felt that while our youth might simply brush off
warnings from us older folks, that they might pay attention this young
lady. Although most articles in the Florilegium are read by only a
minority of those in the Society, I like to think if such articles had
been available back in 2001, perhaps this sickening assault might
never have happened.

Perhaps Lady Gormlaith might be persuaded to let me re-publish her
article, perhaps with some of the passages toned-down. Or perhaps
someone else would be interested in writing such an article aimed at
our youth.

We have always been a Society that did things because one or more
people thought they needed to be done. Not because the BoD or some
rule somewhere said we had to do something. What can the general
populace, including the parents do, to make sure that this never
happens again?  I don't think we should leave this solely up to the
BoD. Even more so, I don't see how burying our heads in the sand and
saying that it isn't a problem and it won't happen again will fix
things, either.

<<< but at the same time I hope that parents everywhere use it as a
wake up call, how many parents try to use the children's activities as
a baby sitter so they can watch  or participate in things ?? how many
let their kids run all over site , with just other kids , no
supervision,no one that knows exactly where they are , and what they
are doing , or who they are doing it with ??
it's really past time for all parents to be responsible for their kids
at all times, not just when its convenient .>>>

Unfortunately, this seems to be an on-going problem, throughout my 22
years in this Society. I know it can be tough to be several places at
once. Comments or suggestions on how to accomplish this, parents?
Those of you that do manage to do this, how do you do it? Ministers of
Children, what can be done to make your jobs easier or more efficient?

One problem I've seen, throughout the Society is the background
checks, or at least the number of people who have passed them. The
background check seems to be good only for about the same length of
time as most people remain Ministers of Children, which keeps us from
building up a supply of folks who have passed their background check
and can fill in, either as primary or secondary child watching
personnel. It is my understanding that the cost of the background
checks isn't that great. I've wondered if the kingdom, or local
groups, could be allowed to pay for this check so that we had more
available people to share child watching responsibilities?

I will say that, in general, the children in the SCA are much more
polite, much more "adult" than kids of the same age that I've seen
outside of the Society. Is it the environment? the adults they are
around? that they also pick up and believe in the ideals that make
this Society different? I don't know.

SCA-children-msg  (16K)  3/ 6/11  Are SCA children different from other
                                      children?
http://www.florilegium.org/files/SCA-SOCIOLOGY/SCA-children-msg.html

Stefan
--------