[Ansteorra] Underage Participation In The SCA

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Mon Feb 6 18:41:30 PST 2012

Hey, everybody, back off of Hosey a little. It's a valid question. Even if you think you know the answer, it's still valid to ask the question.

Consider the next possible steps. (I think these are not going to happen, but they make the point.)

Suppose the lawyers decide that if there are children we cannot have horses. Would we consider making it an adult organization?
What if they decided we couldn't have alcohol, and each participant had to fill out a form for each event?
What if we needed to get, and pay for, a state inspection for every meal served, even by individual families?
How about if they decided we couldn't have any form of martial arts, and every participant had to fill out and have notarized a three-page form for each day of each event? For each hour?

Eventually, something would give. It's reasonable to question whether that time is now.

No, for the record, it isn't. We aren't getting rid of our families in the foreseeable future. (If the legal requirements keep getting stricter and more onerous, I suspect that we will eventually dump the corporation. The presence of a national organization that owns all the money is the lawsuit magnet - not the children.)

It's all right to ask the question - if only so we can rise up and say, "We will protect our own people!"

But protecting our own people includes letting them ask unpopular questions unscathed.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin