[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Tue Feb 7 15:20:37 PST 2012

greetings

 that is a large part of the cycle of decay we seem to be in right now.
membership rates keep going up.
you keep getting less and less for your membership.( as compared to 30 years
ago, when you got a complete anachronist, and a monthly kingdom newsletter
with your membership card )
( if you read a large number of the posts the biggest benefit a person gets
for paying their membership fees is that we are allowed to send more money
to the corporation )
( the second most frequent benefit mentioned is we get to pay for insurance
to pay others in case some one screws up at our event )
people cant afford to go to as many events as they used to, when the number
of events drops below " x  # events " many people stop getting memberships ,
because its easier / cheaper to just pay the non member surcharge at the 1
or 2 events that they can make per year.
and slowly the sca becomes something they do once in a while , or never .
when the survey said the main reason for attending events was to see
friends, that should have been a big wake up call to a lot of people.

I feel that the real topics , should be
" how can we make the sca attractive to a generation of people that
basically " live " through their technology ?  "
" how can we reduce the expense of being a member of the sca ? "
" how can we make events more of a value to attend ? "
" how do we attract new members who can afford to participate ? "
" how do we get members to return ? "

in my opinion, if the main reason to have an event is to raise money,
if the main reason to attend an event is to see friends,
then we really need to rethink a lot of what we do and why we do it.
how do we get back to where the learning and the doing were fun ?
how do we get back to when having honor, being chivalrous , and attempting
courtly graces was something we all did,
no matter how broke we were, or whether we had any awards or not ??
( I really miss the days when I could leave my wallet and keys on my
sleeping bag and the tent door unzipped knowing it would still be there
untouched when I returned : (    )

sorry lots of memories : /

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur