[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Tue Feb 7 16:28:53 PST 2012

On 2/7/2012 3:35 PM, Bree Flowers wrote:
> I don't share the "it takes a village" philosophy. I believe my
> husband and I should be watching our children AT ALL TIMES.
Bless you!  What a concept--"I chose to bring these children into the
world, they are my responsibility." I hesitated to jointhis conversation
since we do not have children.

This was a conscious decision after weighing the responsibilities,
financial costs, lifestyle changes, world conditions, etc. we chose not
to have offspring in this system of things (further conversation for
clearer explanation if wanted off list).

I resent a world that insists I am still supposed to contribute time,
money, whatever, to the raising of other people's children.  This does
not mean I dislike children (I took care of my nephew from the time he
was three months old until he went to school and he is still very dear
to my heart).  I hope to bring one of my nieces to Lilies this year.
But she will be my responsibility, not a Minister of Children's, another
camper's or autocrat's, etc.  These are my choices and are not forced
upon me.

Some suggestions:

Any child at a Children's class or activity must be accompanied by a
parent or guardian (one with a note from the parent saying they are in
charge of this child).  This means the adult must be present for the
coloring, kite making, whatever, but hopefully no one will take
advantage of the child.  Yes, I can hear the M of C saying "all I need a
bunch of 'soccer' Moms overlooking me."  Put them to work... they want
you to entertain their children.

At some of our events in the past, we have made the children wear the
hospital type of wrist bands with the parents' names written with a
marker so that if a child misbehaves or is lost the parents can be
found.  If the child is repeatedly unsupervised or annoying people as
happened in Lady Eve's example, the family will be told to leave.  This
actually did happen at one of our events.  Child predators are only one
of the dangers that can threaten an unsupervised child.  There are
snakes, wells, lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

I have no one in mind as having been guilty of neglecting their children
as I write this.  I do not hope to cause offense.  I also apologize that
my font seems to doing strange things.

Ismet