[Ansteorra] Banning children??

Ronda Melendez rivyn at msn.com
Tue Feb 7 17:40:16 PST 2012

I have tried my best to remain quiet on this issue.  I honestly have.  Granted, I have been lax in my attendance to the meetings and practices and such, but that was due to some personal issues.  Going to school full time, combined with work full time, and a family -- not to mention that I just had major surgery November 16th and am still kind of recovering from it, I have not been able to attend any events.  Which reminds me, I have no armor -- but I digress......... I think we should all think very carefully before we start thinking about things such as banning children from events or from the SCA such as what I have seen in some of these posts.  I love the SCA with all of my heart and was seriously looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and even making my 5 year old daughter some matching garb to go with mine.  I have put off paying my dues because I am waiting to see what everyone decides.  I am hoping that we are not going to go the way of punishing other children or the children of current or even future members by way of either charging more for children to participate or to outlaw their participation altogether. The way I see it is my daughter is 'my daughter' and your daughters and sons are 'your daughters and sons'.  I do not mind helping out with anything at all but I take full responsibility and care for my daughter on my own.  I do not expect others to help raise or take care of her, nor do I ask.  I am not one to ask for help, I never have been.  I remember my first Gothic War when I became a Fledgling to House FalconRose which was the greatest moment of my life - next to the birth of my children, the wedding to my husband and first joining the SCA of course -- and is not something I take lightly.  I made the mistake of trying to carry a bucket of water by myself in order to help out in the kitchens of our camp and the wondrous Lady Eithne chastised me and had a young man carry it for me.  Bless you, my lady for being so wonderful! Once I can find out where everyone stands on this issue, I will definitely pay my dues and purchase one for my daughter if need be.  I want her to see how wonderful all of you are, that I have known you to be.  We have alot to teach our children.  Honor and truth for one -- and I, for one, will teach my daughter those things.  My husband was right.  Our children ARE our future.  We should be teaching and investing in our future in every way possible. I have many aspirations in regards to the SCA.  I want to help in any way that I can and serve wherever I am needed.  Now if by this post I have offended some, then I deeply apologize for such an offense.  This is how I feel.  I have faith in Their Majesties and in our officers as well as my Household that we will do the right thing.  If background checks are necessary for all those who hold any sort of position within the SCA in order to ensure the safety of our children, then so be it.  I think our children are worth it.

 In Service to the Dream,
Muriel filia Donaldi de Skia
Barony of Bryn-Gwlad
Fledgling of House FalconRose
Ambassador to Atlantia
Member of Academy of St. Gabriel

New WoW Epic Mount:  5000 gold
Epic Riding Mount Training:  80 gold
Getting PwNeD by 2 yr. old daughter turning off puter while you are in midflight:  PRICELESS