[Ansteorra] This kids in the SCA thing.

Sara Manley wenchilada at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 12:27:16 PST 2012

Greetings Ansteorra,
Here's my 2 bob's worth. I apologise if it has already been said, but there
are an awful large amount of messages to trawl through (and frankly, thank
goodness for digest!)

Banning children from the SCA is a knee-jerk reaction. There. I've said it.
(and exhale).

I'm a mum of three kids under 6 and living in America, I have never been
more concerned for their safety than anywhere else we have lived in this
world (China & Australia). It is a sadly simple fact, that as long as there
a low-life scum of the earth inhabiting this planet, they will always be at
risk. At school. On Scout camps. Church. Home. SCA. People who they are
supposed to trust who are in positions of power. They don't come with a
flashing sign that says "Hey, you can trust me, but I am going to molest
your children while you are not looking". So what do I do? Do I keep them
locked up? No. Because that would be another form of abuse. All I can do,
is teach them to defend themselves and speak up and to be ever diligent.

Now. Banning them from the SCA? Well, I chose for various reasons not to
involve my kids with the SCA. However, I have many friends who's kids are
all part of a tightly knit SCA Household. This is a sizeable household.
Your cutting off the kids from the SCA may also have a great impact on
whether this household decides enough is enough (this is Lochac we're
talking about, we get a bit peeved off when people overseas stuff around
with the game and how we play it) and they might up stumps and sod off,
within good reason.

So it makes no sense. One minute we're all talking about recruitment and
retention, the next we're talking about excluding people? Don't cut your
noses off to spite your faces.

Come on guys, respond, don't react. Think things through a bit more, eh?

Finn