[Ansteorra] The SCA v. furry fandom

Chelsea Durham baby_sis_83 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:12:59 PST 2012

Okay...
Here are some approximate numbers for the furry fandom. Approximately 10% of furry fans own a fur suit. Of that 10% less than 2% engage in "rolling hot." (that's a euphemism) Of the people in the furry fandom, VERY few advocate actual bestiality. It is not so much human on animal but animal on animal. There are those that are into "cubs". Those are generally ostracized by the rest of the fandom as gross and generally avoided and warned about. Many have been banned from cons. "Cub" art is banned on Fur Affinity (www.furaffinity.net) which is a very popular site for furry art. These people are also usually easily outed by their advocacy of the inappropriate art. Most artists won't draw it. Those that do are either banned or ostracized themselves or are into cubs as well.
A big part of why no children have been molested at a furry con is that there are few furries that have children. By and large, the furry fandom is bi and large. That's not to say NO furries have children just that there are few of them.
For Furry Fiesta in 2011, there were 1034 attendees. My husband saw TWO children there.
Furries all being sexual deviants is a common misconception. There are those that simply enjoy the art styles. For example, there is a person that enjoys the art from Disney's Oliver and Company. It's also that they may just enjoy shows such as Thundercats or Road Rovers. Furry art does not equal sexual art.
I urge you to please meet people before making stereotypical assumptions about them. What would you say about Baron Blackfox's art work?
-Grainne