[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Bill Toscano liamstliam at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 08:38:24 PST 2012

Rule No. 6: Never apologize.

No, "Liam."

*****
The name *Liam* is certainly a modern Irish
[1]<http://medievalscotland.org/problem/names/liam.shtml#note1> pet
form of *Uilliam*, but there is no persuasive evidence that it was used
before the 17th century. In particular, no one has found direct evidence
that it was used that early. Indirect evidence for the name has been
offered, in the form of a surname which might be derived from it; but
careful analysis shows that the surname was actually derived after 1600
from an independent source. Therefore, no evidence supporting earlier use
of *Liam* remains. (For this reason the SCA College of Arms will not
register the name.)
****(