[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 10:00:00 PST 2012

> Background checks did not make any significant difference.

Right! The point we need to grasp here is that the background check the SCA pays for is a safeguard measure to prove due diligence to (maybe) protect the organization from future lawsuits. Anyone who knows the nature of background checks (i.e. which ones are worth the paper they are printed on) will tell you they do nothing to protect our children.

As Mistress Cerridwen so beautifully pointed out, pedophiles look and act like the nicest most trustworthy people on the planet. Most of them have no criminal record to find and would pass a background check easily (as the individual in the recent case would have). Those that wouldn't pass aren't likely to fill out the form, duh! This is the game they play: avoiding safeguards like the ones we put into place.

The only people who can protect our children are parents (and the rest of us, friends, family, and those who care enough to pay attention).

> What did work? Best was two-deep leadership. That protects the adults
> from false accusations as well as protecting the children. This is the absolute
> best action with regard to results.
> Caelin on Andrede

And yay! it doesn't cost the SCA any money either!! :)

~ Kat MacLochlainn