[Ansteorra] The original complaint filed.

Cionaodh O'Hosey CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net
Thu Feb 9 13:28:46 PST 2012

On Feb 9, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Richard Threlkeld wrote:

> One thing I've noticed is a tendency to say we have been negligent
> because
> we did not do everything the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc. have
> done to
> protect children. Please note these are groups whose central
> purpose is
> providing activities and structures for youth. Adults are only
> present in
> the role of leaders and helpers. The SCA is not such a group.

This is my point, I don't go to either lead youth (i am a horrendous
role model for youth) or help with youth (I raised mine, and in my
opinion i did not do that well, so I am done with all of that).

  Before you say "You don't have to help" let me ask these questions:

  1) Am I expected to report an unescorted youth?

  2) Am I expected to question an adult and a youth going in to a
tent alone?

  3) Am I expected to question a class of youth with only one adult
present?

If your answer is yes to any of these questions then you are
expecting me to be a helper.

At the very least you are adding these duties to the rather full
plate of the local officers and their event staff.

All of our other activities are easy to monitor as they happen and
can be ignored when not being done but protecting underage
participants from predators at our events is a twenty-four hour a day
all over the site activity.

Cionaodh O'Hosey