[Ansteorra] iso european dancers ??

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:08:45 PST 2012

Ornamentation in period music is HARD, especially period ornaments. Ornamentation also only works if there is only one person playing the part being ornamented, and if that one part is the only part being ornamented. Talk about time invested in hours of practicing...

I'd also like to point out that most of the musical settings that I have seen in use for SCA dance music are not that great. Most of the added parts to the Early stuff tend to violate basic compositional rules and are wholly unstylistic. The stuff used for Playford is just anachonistic, with attempts to "renaissanceify" what is essentially early-Baroque music. Better settings which are freely availible would go some distance in helping the musical situation, however I'm swamped with compositional work for school as it is -- but willing to help guide someone if they want to take a stab at it.

I will also contest the music for dances (in use by the SCA) are not interchangeable. Having seen many of the dances and danced a few of them myself, I do not find that they are that tied to the music. Some of the Italian stuff is, especially a few of the dances that change tempo and meter. Non of the "standard" dance forms are tied to the music. Nothing in Playford is tied to the music. Again,were someone looking for a good compositional exercise, writing new music to go with existing dances would bema good one (again, I can help give guidance here, but I don't have the time to do it myself).

Dances are like the words to a hymn, anything with the right affect ("mood"), meter, and phrasing can be swapped around.

--AS Zorzi