[Ansteorra] Travel (was Re: Participation vs. Recruitment(long))

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Fri Feb 3 11:25:30 PST 2012

greetings

I really think that people play in the sca for the same reasons they play in
other groups.
so basically people want to feel useful, needed,welcome,and appreciated.

I " know" I'm a good archer / leather worker / etc.etc. ( yay , hurrah, good
for me , I can pat myself on the back ) ( sorry not very good at that ) but
if patting myself on the back was my reason for playing I could do that
without a membership, or any of the other expenses of playing in the sca.

what I cant know is a: if others feel I am good or even great at those
things, and b: does anyone even realize or for that matter care how many
hours I spend doing jobs / making things so that others can have an
enjoyable event / sca experience.
so whether its a simple thank you, well done, good job, etc. or an award ,it
makes " me " feel more welcome, less used, it also motivates me to keep
doing what I'm already doing.
and to be honest, the higher the " rank " of the person telling me good job,
or giving me the award the stronger the feelings involved, since the sca is
based on the " class system "  ( peerage, landed ,grant,aoa,everyone else )

a lot of people seem to forget that there are duties and obligations that
come with every award, from keep doing what your doing to learn to improve
what your doing, to teach others to do what you do, to advise the crown /
b&b of others you have observed who are deserving of awards in your opinion,
they may not get the award, but at least you tried, and informed the right
people. people also tend to give up when the person they recommended doesn't
get a particular award.
not understanding that each new crown needs to be informed ,since the award
recs from the previous crown don't automatically get forwarded to the new
crown.
to be honest I'm too broke and too opinionated to ever hold a peerage, and
if finances get much worse , I may have to let my membership lapse for a
while, which will mean I cant hold any offices for a while, but ill still be
doing everything else I already do, peerage or no peerage , there are people
that depend on me, and people that look to me for advice / knowledge , and I
would be hard pressed to just walk away and possibly leave them in a lurch.

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur