[Ansteorra] Who are the individuals who sued the SCA?

Leslie Snipes lesdsnipes at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 5 01:23:18 PST 2012

"Mr. Schragger was known as "Lord Ben the Steward" to the dozens of children he mentored over the years as a local leader of the society. Mr. Schragger led the local chapter for more than 10 years and also directed the youth program for the society's East Kingdom..."
"It is time for the SCA to take responsibility for failing to protect these children," Jeff Fritz, attorney for five of the young plaintiffs
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07129/784449-85.stm

As someone who complained of a convicted child molester who was holding a kingdom level position specifically involved with recruiting children, an officer that newcomers were likely to encounter early in their participation and be encouraged to trust, not only were my complaints to the kingdom (not Ansteorra) completely ignored, I was attacked.  When I passed the information to BOD, I was also attacked and dismissed.  That was the year I cancelled my paid membership and stopped actively participating.

"In a Society that believes in personal responsibility and honor..."
How about the responsibility for putting labels of trust on people and then denying responsibility for the consequences of doing so?  How about leaving a convicted child abuser in a position of trust for a YEAR after being informed? Because I have personal knowledge that this was indeed done once, I have reason to doubt the SCA's veracity in claiming it had no reason to know of this other abuser.

How about the adults of the SCA, those of true honor and responsibility, not suggest that these children who will need counseling for the rest of their lives have the responsibility for this foist upon them.  Their parents have had to deal with the consequences for a decade now and that included having to go to war with the SCA.  I am quite sure there was no other choice given what I've seen of how the BOD addressed such issues at around the same time.

But for this lawsuit, I am sure there would STILL be no screening of those in positions of trust dealing with children.  Those are now in place although grossly inadequate in my opinion.  These children are now young adults.  I seriously doubt anyone whose children were abused would have much interest in participating in the SCA after that but, if they or these young people do, I would certainly hope that anyone sitting next to them at feast would thank them for their great and painful contribution in making the SCA a safer place for all children.

Still in service to a Dream although it was crushed for me by the BOD,
Pandora