[Ansteorra] Settlement Case and Other Legal Issues

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Feb 5 12:36:45 PST 2012

I like the study of urban legends, and there are some about legal
issues.  Every time I have looked into a UL about an outrageous
lawsuit or decision, I have found some details that change my opinions
and usually make it much less outrageous.  The McDonald's coffee case
( http://www.caoc.com/CA/index.cfm?event=showPage&pg=facts ) is the
most famous but I can repeat my sister's story of how champagne
bottles got their warning labels.  And the Tax Protestor FAQ has
several arguments that I wondered about -- and refutes them pretty
convincingly.  ( http://evans-legal.com/dan/tpfaq.html )

Even in the case we're discussing.  I don't want to go into details,
not because of someone's ukase, but because there's no point -- my
look was brief, so there are doubtless other important details.

In short: what Sir Alexis said.

And please stop the lynch mob mentality on whatever side.  "I beseech
you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken".
(Though Oliver Cromwell was hardly an apostle of tolerance ...)

Danihel de Lindo Colonia

(My apophthegmata:
- The worst book of the trilogy is the fourth.
- If you're not sure whether you can get away with it, you can't.
- You need more bookcases.  (This might need to mutate into: you need
   more storage in your e-reader.)
- No matter how much bacon you bring to the pot luck, you'll get the
   container back empty.
- In most cases, when you look into it, the outrageous court case isn't.)

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com