[Ansteorra] fwd: Valentines day in Japan

Renee Pitcock elwenaduialloth at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 6 17:22:00 PST 2012

This is actually not entirely accurate.  Giri-choco extends all the way to co-workers and people you may interact with on a daily basis.  Japan has a strong culture of mutual obligations and gift-giving like that.  Moreover, White Day is specifically intended for men to return women's gifts, and it can be a mental game.  Even if a woman in the office, for example, doesn't get a man chocolates on Valentine's Day, he may still be considered obligated to give every woman in his workplace White Day gifts, and they can be any number of presents.  In fact, many women will buy gifts for their husbands to distribute at work to make sure the obligations are met.  However, just as women can use Valentine's to confess their feelings to a man, so too can men use White Day to confess their feelings to a woman.  Likewise, the lack of chocolate or a reciprocal gift can be an obvious snub to a person you dislike or whose feelings you do not return.  Also, many
 women make their chocolates at home by hand, so the idea that you're getting three times the value is a little skewed.

In other words, Valentine's Day is complicated in Japan.

~Morina O'Donovan