[Ansteorra] Child Abuse and Historical Context or Change is Hard

Deborah May auntdwen at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 6 18:31:36 PST 2012

Greetings,

Well, I have watched for a while the threads about child abuse and the way that
it has impacted our organization.  I'm going to take off my SCA hat(s) and speak
as Dr. May the psychologist who has spent the past twenty-five years in the
field.

Anti-child abuse and child abuse reporting laws weren't on the books in this
country until the mid-50's.  They had to use the cruelty to animals statutes to
create these laws and they dealt mostly with physical abuse and neglect.  Until
that time you got in more trouble for beating your horse than your wife or
child!  No one wanted to talk about or address the problem of child sexual abuse
until the Women's Movement got stronger--roughly the late '70's.  Sad, but
true.  Our national conversation about what constitutes child abuse and the best
way to address it is still evolving and I seriously doubt that we're done
figuring it all out.  That said, for many of us older folks, the fact that we're
even *talking* about the topic is still amazing.  For many younger folks, you've
grown up with and been educated about child abuse since you entered school or
childcare.  There are going to be some generational differences when having this
conversation.

Many numbers are flung about, but the best guess is approximately one in five
women and one in eight to ten men will have been sexually abused/assaulted at
some point in his/her life.  When we express strong feelings about the victims
and their families, please bear in mind that, statistically speaking, you are
addressing a number of adult survivors of some form of sexual trauma.  Blaming
the victim and/or the victim's families is probably not helpful.  Most parents
don't take their child to school, church or childcare (or the family reunion, or
the grandparents' farm) wanting their kids to be sexually abused.  I seriously
doubt participants in the SCA are any different.  Last statistics that I had
regarding false reports of child sexual abuse put it in the same category as
falsely reported murders.  Yes, everyone out there can come up with an anecdotal
incident where Joe and Jane were divorcing and used cross allegations against
one another.  I can tell you from the front lines that it happens, but it is not
the norm.

The perpetrators of child sexual abuse, unlike the way it can be portrayed in
the media, do not look evil.  There are no horns or tails.  They are more likely
to be related to or know the victim or the victim's family, more likely to be
considered a great, helpful, and yes even Good Christian person than they are to
be a sadistic S.O.B. lurking behind bushes waiting to hurt or even kill the
child (only approximately 1-3 in a hundred).  Perpetrators are creatures of
opportunity who put themselves in positions of trust that are likely to allow
them unfettered access to children.  Many of their victims are terribly
emotionally conflicted because they thought the perpetrator loved them and cared
for them--remember, the perp wants continued access to the child and does what
he/she can to keep them close and available (yes, there are female perpetrators,
but they're only about 8% of reported cases and some of those cases involved a
male as well).  When asked to respond to a survey which would have absolutely
*no* impact on their sentences because they were lifers and never going to get
out anyway, 40 convicted child sexual abuse felons were able to come up with
approximately 25,000 incidents with children.  I find that number staggering.

Sadly, litigation is often the only way to get individuals and institutions
(yeah, I hear corporations are people now, too) to change their behavior.  Until
the past 15-20 years mandatory screening of teachers, childcare workers and
others in a position to have direct access to children were not the norm.
Litigation changed all that.  It is worth noting, however, that those background
checks go only so far.  If a person has been molesting children for years but
has never been arrested and convicted, nothing will show up on a standard
background check.  I am not directly aware of the depth of the background checks
we use in the SCA, but I would be surprised if we were given access to the Child
Welfare (DHS/DFS) histories of all our players.  There are levels and degrees of
checking, but again, if they haven't been caught (and most are not) there will
be no red flag.  Some institutions (schools, childcare), *depending on their
jurisdiction/state* are required by law to perform those background checks.  The
rest end up doing so because of liability insurance and situations just like
this.  Unlike Law & Order or CSI, the long,  drawn-out grind that is true,
real-world litigation takes...about as long as this has taken.  Actually, I'm
impressed that the criminal part didn't drag out this long.  Often it does,
usually to the benefit of the defendant.  (Big difference when the victim who
was a cherubic 8 y/o at the time of the alleged incident is an angry, Goth teen
by the time it goes to trial...sigh).

I am part of the Garfield County Child Advocacy Council's Child Abuse Reporting
Education Team.  One of the times that I feel really, really proud to be an
Oklahoman is when I can tell the folks to whom we are speaking that Oklahoma is
one of the few states with a mandatory child abuse reporting law that covers
everyone!  Not just doctors, counselors, teachers and childcare workers, but
anyone who has reason to suspect abuse is required by law to so do.  It is a
misdemeanor if you *suspect* and don't report to DHS or law enforcement.  (For
those who followed the tragic events at Penn State, no, Pennsylvania does not
have a child abuse reporting law.)  I have to say, though, that every time we
(physician, DHS worker, psych, police detective, advocacy center director)
present to a group someone inevitably says, "But, don't you think that it is so
much worse now?  Don't you think people are treating kids worse now than in the
past?"  Our answer across every aspect of the Child Welfare field is a
resounding, "No!"

Yes, there are more reports than in the past.  But remember we didn't even have
laws *against* child abuse in some of our lifetimes!  More reports mean its
harder for the perpetrators.  Yes, we talk about it more.  But child abuse is
often a terrible secret that a child and possibly his/her family endures.  The
social stigma associated with being a victim is still large and has a big impact
on the child and his or her family.  The fact that we are actually able to
discuss it on the television, in the classrooms, on the lists, etc. gives
strength to the victims and can be the catalyst for them to tell and get help.
Oh, and not just for themselves--remember the 25,000?  We want to get these guys
off the street.

The few thousand dollars received by each family in the aftermath of this
tragedy hardly compensates them for all they have--and likely will--go though.
The loss of trust in others is one of the worst parts of being a surviving
family.  What that settlement has done, though, is caused the SCA as a
family-oriented 501-C (3) educational organization to bring our policies and
procedures in line with the world as it is and as we wish it would be.  It has
also sparked a conversation--hopefully educational and mutually
supportive--about what it means to be a member of the SCA, how best to care for
one another and our children as we pursue The Dream.

As a society, we in the United States in this time and in this place do  better
by our children than at any other time or place in human  history.   As a
Society, we in the SCA strive to do better as well. I have great hope for our
future as a nation and as a world.  We in the Society bring the Ideals of
Chivalry to a world that is in sore need of them.

I'm thinking protecting the kiddos is part of that Dream.

Bright Blessings,

Dr. Deborah C. May                      or             Mistress Ceridwen Tir
Gwstraff of Wizard's Keep
Licensed Psychologist                                  Baroness, Pelican, and
Notorious Stirrer of Pots

Enid, OK                                                         Crown Lands
formerly the Wastelands of Ansteorra