[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Scott Fridenberg fitzmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 13:36:28 PST 2012

   For people who come to the SCA form other organizations that require
membership it seems odd that we do not.  On the other had there is an
attitude held by many in the SCA, (I'm one), that the Society predates, and
is more important than the corporation.  That the corporation is
a convince that was created to aid the Society in it's goals and should
be subservient to the Society, rather than rule over it.  The Society could
survive without the corporation, though we would have to make some changes
in how we do things.  The corporation cannot survive without the Society.
 I do not think it just that someone who has given of their time, skill and
sweat to support the Society, should be denied recognition and awards, and
made to feel less than others because they have not sent a check to the
corporation.
   At the time of it's creation the corporation seemed to be the best route
to providing a legal umbrella to cover our activities.  There is a danger
however in having all of the Society's funds under the control of one
corporation.  It concentrates the money in a large enough pool to make a
nice target for a lawsuit, and makes it possible for one incident in one
Kingdom to wipe out the bank accounts of every Kingdom.  We may well have
reached the point where the risk in putting all our eggs in one
basket, outweighs the convenience.  Particularly when that basket is being
kept in California.

Robert Fitzmorgan