[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 7 17:03:15 PST 2012

Ismet said:
> Any child at a Children's class or activity must be accompanied by a
> parent or guardian (one with a note from the parent saying they are
> in charge of this child).  This means the adult must be present for
> the coloring, kite making, whatever, but hopefully no one will take
> advantage of the child.  Yes, I can hear the M of C saying "all I
> need a bunch of 'soccer' Moms overlooking me."  Put them to work...
> they want you to entertain their children.

This has been a re-occurring problem throughout the 22+ years I've
been in the Society. Usually the MoC s are asking, nay begging, for
more help. There may be some MoC s who would object to "a bunch of
socoer Moms" helping out with children's activities, but I dare say
very few.

One of the problems with the current system is that the MoC can not
leave the other children alone while she goes and finds the event
steward or an herald to cry the camp or to find the parents of the
problem child. Nor can she, I believe, take the child to their parents
by his/her self.

Unfortunately, often the only person who has had an approved
background check done is the MoC. And that background check usually
expires about the time the MoC's warrant expires. So we build up no
reserve of "approved" people to back up the MoC.

How expensive is that background check? Can more of them be done so
that there are multiple adults than can back up the MoC? If the
kingdom can't pay for this, can it be arranged so that groups and/or
individuals can pay for background checks?

Stefan

--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris