[Ansteorra] feasts and food safety

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 7 22:20:52 PST 2012

Which is why it is becoming more common, although unfortunately not
done throughout the Known World, to post ingredient lists for feasts.
While cross-contamination can't be ruled out, and it happens in
restaurants with paid staff as well, this goes a long way to helping
this situation.

While many headcooks will cook for people, with allergies, special
dishes without specific ingredients in them when requested, this isn't
something that anyone should expect. Ask for and look at the
ingredient lists for feasts and make your own decsion whether to eat
the feast or not. Ansteorra is one of the kingdoms where it is usually
possible for feasters and non-feasters to sit at the same table and
enjoy their time together.

on-r-offboard-msg (16K) 9/17/01 Comments on allowing non-paying/non-
eating folks to attend SCA feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/on-r-offboard-msg.html

ingred-lists-msg  (18K)  4/ 6/07  Posting ingredient lists at SCA
feasts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/ingred-lists-msg.html

I would also like to see more folks involved with feasts, and
especially the headcooks, take courses in food safety such as the one
that Dore's brother was going to teach at Candlemas but which
unfortunately got canceled. I'm not sure that I would require these at
this point, but I would strongly encourage that these be taken.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris