[Ansteorra] feasts and food safety

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Feb 9 10:08:09 PST 2012

I would strongly recommend anyone who wants to be in charge of a feast get
some training in food preparation, storage, and safety. Do it so that you
won't be the one responsible for the 8 people going to the hospital with
food poisoning. Do it because you want a reputation for serving tasty and
safe food. Do it for your own satisfaction.

I'm a ServeSafe instructor (the national certification that meets the state
requirements in all states for food service managers and owners), but I'm
pretty sure no one will want to pay the $85 testing fee plus the course
costs. However, many of us have taught basic courses in food prep and safety
and I expect we will continue to do so. In Elfsea, we ran a Cooks' Guild for
several years which taught prep and safety then branched off into how to buy
efficiently, how to plan menus, feast day logistics, how to cook various
types of dishes, etc. It was fun and informative.

In Service,
Caelin on Andrede

StefanliRous at austin.rr.com