[Ansteorra] The original complaint filed.

chris st. john baskhoan at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 14:20:02 PST 2012

> One thing I've noticed is a tendency to say we have been negligent because
> we did not do everything the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc. have done to
> protect children. Please note these are groups whose central purpose is
> providing activities and structures for youth. Adults are only present in
> the role of leaders and helpers. The SCA is not such a group.

This is my point, I don't go to either lead youth (i am a horrendous role model for youth) or help with youth (I raised mine, and in my opinion i did not do that well, so I am done with all of that).

Before you say "You don't have to help" let me ask these questions:

1) Am I expected to report an unescorted youth?

2) Am I expected to question an adult and a youth going in to a tent alone?

3) Am I expected to question a class of youth with only one adult present?

If your answer is yes to any of these questions then you are expecting me to be a helper.

At the very least you are adding these duties to the rather full plate of the local officers and their event staff.

All of our other activities are easy to monitor as they happen and can be ignored when not being done but protecting underage participants from predators at our events is a twenty-four hour a day all over the site activity.

Cionaodh O'Hosey

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

While you may not be the best the role model or have done well raising children (God knows I question my own ability more times than not) we do strive for honor within the Society. Turning a blind eye to something & allowing it to happen, to me, is just as bad as doing it yourself.
Would you "not see" some one beating their significant other?
Would you continue to stroll along the beach "not see" the man drowning?
Would you not yell hold if you saw something unsafe on the field of battle?
If you answer no to these questions, why would you not report a child in an unsafe situation?

In Service
Christopher Hamilton
Black Company