[Ansteorra] buying recorders (was: iso dance)

Kaitlyn Mckenna mistresskaitlyn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:39:20 PST 2012

This is the dance list from Fall Ball IV:Nika Nika- Concentric + Center
Ring Reverse

Half Hanikin
Jenny Pluck Pears
Angus Reel
Gathering peas cods

Prendente
Heartsease
Juice of Barely
Black Allemand

Black Nag 3x
Trenchmore
Rufty Tufty

Bransel Suite
• Cassandra
• Pinagay
• Charlotte
• LaGuerre (War)
• Aridan

If All the World Were Paper
John Tallow’s Cannon
Whirligig

Rostiboli Gioioso
Goddesses
Heralds in Love

Petit Vriens
Picking of Sticks
Parsons Farewell
These are the ones we do the most in Shadowlands at our weekly Sunday
evening practices.

--kaitlyn
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:24 AM, ledonna mcgowan <ledmcgowan at gmail.com>wrote:

> What are the more popular dance songs?  I have a copy of Master Avatar's
> music "Early Period and Popular Dance Music" and want to work out some of
> the alto and tenor parts as well as soprano.
>
> Delphina
>
> BTW:  If you took my recorder class at the last King's College I need to
> warn you that Lyons has changed the way they make their recorders and they
> are no longer in tune through out the registers.  Not worth the money any
> more.
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Stefan li Rous <
> StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
> > wrote:
>
> > AS Zorzi,
> >
> > Thank you for your comment. I will be adding it to the recorders-msg
> file.
> > It is a collection of messages collected from across the Known World and
> > over the 22 years I've been in the Society, so likely some info will go
> out
> > of date or people will have differing opinions. I do not consider myself
> > enough of an expert in this area to try to edit out the comments that may
> > no longer be true, but I do welcome differing opinions.
> >
> > I still have my wooden recorder from third grade, yes a very long time
> > ago. I do remember comments from other people recommending these plastic
> > Yamaha recorders. The price and the fact that they are likely to be less
> > affected by moisture changes would seem to make them good choices for SCA
> > camping events.
> >
> > Stefan
> >

> > On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:48 PM, Jeffrey Clark wrote:
> >
> >  Stefan,
> >>
> >> There is a lot of strange (outdated?) advice in the buying recorders
> >> thread. As a professional recorder player and teacher, I would say that
> the
> >> only recorder that an entry-level player should consider purchasing is a
> >> Yamaha 300 series. Most of my teachers have one or two knocking around
> and
> >> use them as practice instruments, and many, many other professionals
> have
> >> them.
> >>
> >> Until you are ready to spend >$500 on an instrument, you cannot go wrong
> >> with the Yamaha 300.   I cannot tell you how many recorder players I've
> >> seen who had purchased an off-brand plastic or a cheap wooden recorder
> and
> >> had the inferior instrument hold them back or kill their enjoyment
> >> altogether.
> >>
> >> Also, if anyone will be at Elfsea defender -- I will be there, and am
> >> willing to give lessons/classes/play for dancers. I'm usually very easy
> >> spot.
> >> --AS Zorzi
> >>
> >> On Feb 14, 2012, at 22:29, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>  There are music groups in various places, including Bryn Gwlad. I'm
> sure

> carry

> [...]

"Do not make someone a priority who only makes you an option"