[Ansteorra] [Ansteorra ] Kingdom A&S documentation?

Ameline DuBois Ameline at generich.com
Wed Feb 15 18:27:29 PST 2012

Hello all, I Ameline DuBois, wish all to know I was blessed to be the Kingdom Artisan last year and I loved every day, but as all things come to an end I want to congratulate Beatrix Alfray as Ansteorra's newest Kingdom Artisan.

I have notes on a Documentation class I will post here for anyone who wished to read through it, sorry it is so long, but attachments will be striped. Documentation is hard and this breakdown can be helpful, it also helps show you how the judge may work with your information.

documentation class:

OUTLINE FOR DOCUMENTATION IN ANSTEORRA:

There are 50 possible points to earn in our judging form, 10 points per category.

The first three of these,  METHODS/TECHNIQUES,  MATERIALS, COMPLEXITY  -   have the italicized comment behind them of :  As supported by documentation....

 If  there is no documentation on the table about these three category's, the best the judge can give you on this sheet is a 1.

Two of them WORKMANSHIP/SKILL, PRESENTATION/OVERALL IMPRESSION, have no documentation needed to earn. So with a perfect piece the judge loves, with no documentation you could receive a score of 23... and an average piece would be more like 17. Do not do that to yourself, or your judges. Give the judge all they need to increase your score, this is how I have done it. I have five categories listed in my paper in the same order as the judging sheet.  Overview, Methods, Materials, Complexity, and Workmanship. This really helps the judge by telling them, under each heading, what they need to know about your piece for each category. At times you will repeat yourself, that is OK, it helps the judge keep all the info about the that category easier to find, and also easier for you to write. Have at least one paragraph per Category. This is the outline:

1. what is the piece? Who used/wore/made it is history? What time in history? Find a picture in a historical reference y to back up that statement. Foot note the book and pic. This is not in the judging sheet this is just a springboard to launch the judge into your piece, and let them see what you are showing them.

2.Methods: What tools, or skills you used " to make the piece" . What was used by the historical artist  in the time frame you are referencing in your  piece. <back it="" up="" foot="" note.=""> Is yours the same skill or tool? Justify if it is not the same. The level of justification will vary from judge to judge.  Time, availability in your area, or cost to you can be justified by some judges but less from others. Toxicity, poison or danger is always justified.   Level of competition also a factor, Baronial A&S, Kingdom A&S, these have different  bars of complexity in my eyes.  Others judges might see it differently . Below  is what the judge will have as a guideline to give you the possible 10 points . You can try to steer your judge by claiming in your docs that you used a Combination 6/7 in the score sheet, or a Majority 8/9 in the score sheet  in your statements about your piece but that is a double edged sword it might pin down the score for the judge higher or lower  than they might have otherwise given.  </back>

 METHODS/TECHNIQUES - As supported by documentation

0/1 = No information provided or not applicable

2/3 = Piece serves some period function, but uses clearly modern or industrial techniques. Substitutions are not explained and only the basic/minimal amount of information about the period technique is supplied.

4/5 = Piece serves a period function, but more modern techniques along with some period techniques. Substitutions are not explained well in the documentation.

6/7 = Combination of period and modern methods/techniques used. Techniques are justified and explained well in the documentation.

8/9 = Majority of techniques are period, but some modern techniques are used. Entrant documents period methods and explains where and why they used modern techniques instead.

10 = Methods used are the same as those in period, with only necessary variation(s) from medieval practice (e.g., avoiding using mercury to size a hat).

3.Materials: list what you used your tools or skills " on". paper/velum, cotton/wool, pewter/silver, how did you get your materials, bought or made. What was used in the time frame you are referencing in the piece.< back up, Foot note> Is your Material the same? Justify if it is not the same.  Again the level of justification will vary from judge to judge, and level of competition. Below  is what the judge will have as a guideline to give you the possible 10 points .  Again you can pin down what you think the judge should give you with  the words Combination 6/7, or Majority 8/9 or state all for the 10, but you better prove that statement with good documentation and foot notes.

 MATERIALS - As supported by documentation

0/1 = No information provided or not applicable.

2/3 = Piece serves some period function, but uses clearly modern or industrial materials. Substitutions are not explained and only the basic/minimal amount of information about period materials is supplied.

4/5 = Piece serves a period function, but more modern materials were used in the construction than period materials. Substitutions are not explained well in the documentation.

6/7 = Combination of period and modern materials used. Substitutions are explained, appropriate, and justifiable.

8/9 = Majority of materials are period, but some modern materials are used. Entrant documents period materials and explains where and why they used modern materials instead.

10 = Materials used are the same as those in period, with only necessary variation(s) from period materials (e.g., omitting extinct or deadly herbs from recipes).

4.Complexity: What did you " need to learn" to make this piece. Did you have failed pieces, what did you learn. Explain the level of skill needed or the time it took you to achieve the skill. In history who would have made your piece: servant, tradesman, the owner, a guild. Document that < back it up, footnote it>. Below  is what the judge will have as a guideline to give you points. The Complexity area is where you will get hit if you make a simple piece yet it is perfect in form. Let's say a mud brick...you can make a perfect mud brick with complete accuracy to method, and Materials, and workmanship....but it is a mud brick, it took you an afternoon to make. It has little complexity or knowledge and research to learn. Tell me how to take the mud brick and build a kiln then you have a bigger more complex piece. Again you can try to lead the judge with your words telling them your idea of competency you have attained in this skill required to make the piece. That is my idea of personal involvement, it is the knowledge you needed to acquire and master, to achieve the piece. Below  is what the judge will have as a guideline to give you the possible 10 points .

COMPLEXITY - As supported by documentation

0/1 = No information provided or not applicable.

2/3 = Piece is simple in form and function.

4/5 = Piece demonstrates moderate degree of complexity and personal involvement to produce.

6/7 = Piece demonstrates an above average degree of complexity and personal involvement to produce.

8/9 = Piece demonstrates an advanced degree of complexity and personal involvement to produce.

10 = Piece demonstrates exceptional degree of complexity and personal involvement to produce.

5.Workmanship:  No documentation needed here...If you have it,  use it. Explain your creation of the piece, is it  from your mind, simulation of a real museum piece, conglomeration of many pieces. What are the last few things that set the workmanship off. Did you do something to set it apart as yours? Did you go the extra mile to make a finishing touch.  This is at the judge's discretion so help them understand your desire to improve the piece by  doing _____ to make it shine and stand out in the competition.  Below  is what the judge will have as a guideline to give you the possible 10 points .

WORKMANSHIP/SKILL

0/1 = No information provided or not applicable.

2/3 = Piece requires basic or minimal skill, workmanship, or artistic ability to produce.

4/5 = Piece demonstrates moderate degree of skill, workmanship or artistic ability to produce.

6/7 = Piece demonstrates an above average degree of skill, workmanship or artistic ability to produce.

8/9 = Piece demonstrates an advanced degree of skill, workmanship or artistic ability to produce.

10 = Piece demonstrates exceptional degree of skill, workmanship or artistic ability to produce

6.Presentation: How you set the display up for the judges to consume your art. Table cloth, pedestal, tools out that you made or used to create this piece. One or two levels add interest and show off the piece better. No clutter, each thing on the table should add to the piece, none should over shadow the piece. Your art should be the focus or the pinnacle of the display.   Documentation should be easy to read in a simple type and big enough with bold category's so the judge can't get lost. You should have three copies in color if you have pictures that support your piece. You could have extras in Black and white if you wish to give some to the Laurels  or individuals if they express interest.   The possible 10 points given here is TOTALY up to the judge's discretion....make it look nice, neat, and professional as possible in the documentation,  and hope for the best is all you can do here.

7.Documentation:  there are many ways to document. Type research paper documentation into Google and you will get many ways to do it.  http://www.aresearchguide.com/styleguides.html is a good one.  I will tell you how I do it:

Footnote:   Full statement in sentence about piece.  last name of author as it is listed in you bibliography and page #

3 examples:

 Instead of removing the piece, the wax is melted out leaving the void for the molten metal. Graham  p.143

I mixed from pool chemicals. An artist of that time could use a vinegar solution to achieve a similar effect. McCreight  p. 75

Hammers with a round end and a rectangle end, both used for striking, was found in the Mastermyr  tool chest. Arwidsson  p 79.

Footnote pictures also example:

Evidence of a veil is seen in the line of plaques that extended from one side of the jaw line to the other, going around the shoulders. Fodor p.230-231 fig 1,2,3,

   fig1.  place photo         fig2.     place photo       fig3   place photo

start with fig1 and number through however many you need in the paper each with last name of book and page. If from a web site note the author or full web address  if needed. To me it is MOST important to give credit to the pictures in your paper and where you got the info.

Bibliography : should be in alphabetical order buy author's last name and should look like this.

last name, first name, Title of book in Italic.Publisher, date written. ISBN

Arwidsson, Greta, and Gosta Berg. The Mastermyr Find, A Viking Age Tool Chest From Gotland. Lompoc, Ca.: Larson Publishing Co., 1999. ISBN  0-9650755-1-6

Fodor, Istvan. The Ancient Hungarians. Budapest: Hungarian National Museum , 1996.   ISBN 963-9046-05-01

Graham-Campbell, James, and Dafydd Kidd. The Vikings. Norwitch, Great Britain: 1980. ISBN   0-688-03603-1

Hald, Margrethe. Ancient Danish Textiles From Bogs and Burials. National Museum of Denmark., 1980.  ISBN  87-480-0312-3

McCreight, Tim. The Complete Metalsmith. Revised Edition. Worcester, Massachusetts: Davis Publication, 1991.  ISBN  0-87192-240-1

Website

  Anders Söderberg, Sweden, "Viking Bronze" http://web.comhem.se/vikingbronze/index.htm

This is how I write my documentation for Ansteorra. There are many other ways  to document, this is just mine, and it has served me well. Good luck in your A&S entries I hope this paper helps you in your endeavors.   This is just one person who has been an artist and judge for more than ten years, and my way of interpreting  the rubric of the Ansteorran  Static judging form over time.

Mistress Ameline DuBois

Ansteorran  Arts and Science Champion 2011-2012

ameline at generich.com